Wednesday, December 5, 2012

No Interview Today & More On Duotrope

I don't have an interview or guest post lined up for today, so I'll be skipping that for this month unless someone is anxious to be interviewed yet in December. If so, feel free to contact me.

The other thing I wanted to touch on today was another follow-up on Duotrope.

After having promoted the site late last month and then written a follow-up post on it last weekend, I felt that I should continue to keep folks aware of my thoughts on the topic as they develop.

Having watched things play out over the past few days, particularly the tone of communications sent to Duotrope users, I've come to the conclusion that I am going to try working without Duotrope. $50-60 a year isn't a huge amount for me to spend in the abstract, but it's more than I spend on any other writing service. I'd contributed (at above the recommended amount) multiple times in the past but the new price is more than I spend on any other writing service and if I'm going to increase my outlay to that extent there are other ways I'd prefer to direct that money.

I've already transitioned back to using a spreadsheet for my submission tracking. By using Dropbox I'll have access to this spreadsheet virtually as readily as I had access to Duotrope. If I find down the road that I feel like I'm truly missing something, I'll check back in to Duotrope and see if I want to subscribe at that time.

2 comments:

  1. The way I figure it, we had plenty of warning about the switch to paid subscriptions, but I agree the price point seems a bit steep.

    You probably already know about Ralan.com, but just in case I thought I'd mention it. Not as slick looking as Duotrope, but definitely handy for writers of speculative fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not upset that they made a switch, but I don't think I can justify the expense at this point. Perhaps I'll decide differently in the future.

      Ralan.com is a very good site. I listed it and several others in a follow-up post about links for writers who decide to try to go without Duotrope after the first.

      Delete