Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Announcing "Write Every Day" by Michael Haynes

Late last summer I started a daily writing routine, based on motivational techniques described by Jerry Seinfeld. One of my first blog posts was about starting this routine, or chain, and it's still one of my most popular posts. The central concept is quite simple:
You get a big wall calendar (or some other visible equivalent) and a bold marker. Commit to some goal which you will achieve every day. Then, when you've met each day's goal, put an "X" in the calendar for the day. Quickly, you'll have a chain of "X"s and then all you have to do, in Seinfeld's words, is "Don't Break the Chain."
I've been writing every day since I started my daily writing chain and I'm quickly coming up on a year since I started my daily writing chain. Along the way, I've learned quite a few things about how I write and ways to help keep myself into this daily routine.

Earlier this year, Australian author Valerie Parv asked me when I was going to develop my thoughts around this way of establishing a daily writing routine into a something larger than several blog entries. I hadn't thought about that seriously before her suggestion, but soon afterwards I started working on the outline of a short book around the idea of writing every day and the tools I've used to help make it possible.

And now, that book is (almost) here. Next Monday, June 25th, I'll be launching "Write Every Day" on Amazon for the Kindle. You don't have to wait for the 25th, though!  I'll select five people who sign up for my Write Every Day mailing list between now and 11:59 PM (EDT) on Thursday June 21st and send them a free pre-release review PDF.

Along with the release of "Write Every Day" I'll be publishing daily blog posts relating to helping keep your daily writing routine going. Most of these will be very short, such as a writing prompt or two for writers who are feeling stuck, but there will be at least one longer post each week.

Thanks for stopping by to read my announcement!

8 comments:

  1. So cool! I love your writing chain idea! It's like when my kids do that anticipating a big event and they love seeing that "chain" getting closer to the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Grace. I'm glad that the concept appeals to you and I hope you find the book interesting.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to read this Michael! You are an inspiration to me and I'm looking forward to reading more about how you've continued your excellent process :)) By the way, love this gray screen. Makes reading your words even easier! Congratulations and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jo-Anne! It truly humbles and amazes and thrills me any time someone says something like that to me; it's hard to express how much I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Now this might be something I can stick with -- I think need that visual butt-kicking. ;) Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome, Meg! Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Nice! Joined the mailing list, but you don't have to include me in the contest. I'll be buying it either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for signing up and for your offer. If you're one of the five, I'll go ahead and draw a 6th number.

      Delete