Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday Interview with Author Kathleen S. Allen

On Sunday's the Write Every Day blog will feature a guest post or interview. Today's interview is with Kathleen S. Allen.


MH: Can you describe what your usual writing routine is like?
KSA: I write first thing in the morning before I go to my day job or late at night after I get home from my day job. I try and make more time for it on the weekends or if I have a day off. I don't watch much TV on purpose so I can write instead. I still make time for reading, though.


MH: Speaking of reading, what are your favorite types of things to read? Any favorite authors?
KSA: I read a lot of young adult books since that's the genre I primarily write in. I am a big fan of Anne McCaffrey. I recently finished the City of Bones series by Cassandra Clare. I also recently read Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I also read science fiction and fantasy.

MH: Do you find trying to write every day to be a comfortable routine or do you prefer working differently?
KSA: I write every day if I can. If I can't, I get grumpy!

MH: Besides forgoing TV watching, do you have any special techniques or "tricks" you use to help yourself write every day?
KSA: No special tricks. I open my laptop and start writing. If I don't have any ideas I "free write" for a while until something comes to me. If I am not writing I am probably reading or on Twitter! I also write a blog twice a month and maintain three websites. The trick to writing is to write. Every day. Period. I tend to spend a lot of time with social media/promoting which can suck up writing time so I have to be careful not to get too carried away with it.

MH: What comes most easily to you in writing?
KSA: Dialogue, hands down. It's the easiest thing for me to write and I have to be careful not to put too much dialogue into my books, 'cuz I will!

MH: I enjoy writing dialogue, also! What do you find most difficult in writing?
KSA: Editing is my least favourite part of writing. Of course I do it, but I don't like to edit.

MH: Which of your writing accomplishments so far is the most pleasing to you?
KSA: The fact that I have 15 projects available in just over a year on Amazon/Kindle etc. I am most excited about getting my stories to the readers. I enjoy all aspects of writing, editing aside. I was excited to put up my first book on Kindle/Nook/Smashwords, AINE about a 16-year-old girl who finds out she's a faerie. It's been one of my best selling books. My other best selling book is a YA historical called FITZROY: THE BOY WHO WOULD BE KING about Henry VIII's illegitimate son, Henry Fitzroy. In fact FITZROY has now outsold AINE.

Although I am in the process of looking for an agent, I do enjoy the whole creating a book trailer, making my own covers and promoting part of self-publishing. I am currently putting up a YA Dystopian novel with zombies. I just made the cover and am working on formatting it and making the book trailer. All of my trailers are available on YouTube.

MH: Is there anything else you'd like to share with my readers?
KSA: If you like a book you've read, please review it on Amazon/Goodreads/Nook etc. It means so much to the author to get good reviews!

MH: Thanks for taking time for this interview. Best of luck with all of your writing projects, Kathleen!

Kathleen's website (kathleensallen.weebly.com) has links to all her books. You can also find her on Twitter (@kathleea) and she has an author fan page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Witch-Hunter/142372955812353).

No comments:

Post a Comment