Thursday, August 2, 2012

Upcoming Deadlines: Kazka Press Flash Fiction & Dead North

One of the tools I've used sometimes to help myself get started on writing is writing towards prompts or themes for upcoming publications, either anthologies or themed issues of periodicals. Below you will find information about two such calls for submissions.

Kazka Press has made some changes to their monthly flash fiction contests and there's one in particular which I'd like to draw your attention to. The September contest has the theme of "Love Beyond Death" and will be guest-edited by me. This issue's submission call runs from September 1st through 20th, 2012 and Kazka will be paying a flat rate of $10 for stories of 713-1,000 words. They asked me to provide a few words about what I wanted to see in submissions and I said:
The best thing I can say is: surprise me! There are some obvious directions this theme could take: ghosts, other paranormal beasties, personality-on-a-microchip/uploaded-brain type stories, etc. I’m not saying I won’t take those if they’re great, because we want to provide great stories for the contest’s readers. But if I’ve got the choice between a great ghost story and a great story that took the theme in a direction I couldn’t have anticipated and that made me say ‘Wow!’ I know which one I’ll pick every time.
The second submission call for this week is for the Dead North anthology. This is an anthology of zombie stories set in Canada. This submission call runs through September 30th, 2012. They pay 2 cents (Canadian) per word plus two copies of the anthology for original stories of 2,000-10,000 words. Reprints will be considered at a flat rate of $40 Canadian. Authors do not have to be Canadian themselves to submit, though the editor has asked for authors with Canadian citizenship or permanent residency to state as such in their cover letter.

As always, please make sure to read the linked guidelines pages closely to ensure that you understand details of the submission guidelines, terms, payment information, etc.

Stop back next Thursday for more Upcoming Deadlines!

No comments:

Post a Comment